Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas 2008

We have been enjoying this Christmas season... we had a candy making day with some friends and family in Greenville last week, made truffles at home, attended a Christmas party with a playgroup that began in July 2004 and has expanded ever since and today we assembled and decorated the cutest little gingerbread house you have ever seen. We may be in the middle of finding a new normal and the temperature might be tipping 80 degrees outside (where are we.. the southern hemisphere?), but we are having a holly jolly Christmas!



Can you tell Sophia and Joshua had enough of smiling for the camera?


Yesterday, I took the older two to the mall and we had SO much fun shopping. Yes, I said it.. I had fun shopping with a 4 year old and almost 3 year old. Can you believe it? Sophia loved Claires Boutique and bought her first very own nail polish in pink (hot pink. to my dismay) and purple. We bought some new clothes ... Gymboree had a 25% off entire store sale! Whoo hoo! The kids were able to ride the carousel in the mall which was super exciting for them. We ate a little Chick-el-A and then they got to sit on Santa's lap for the first time ever. It is so funny because we tell our children that Santa is just for fun and is make believe but they still believe - to some degree, at least. Much to my surprise, they both jump up on his lap and Sophia gives him a big hug. I began to think how strange it was that I allowed my 3 year old to hug a strange old man... how it is ok since he is dressed up as Santa. But is it really? Anyway, I digress.. Joshua starts spouting out his list of items he wants for Christmas. You guessed it.. every super hero there is. Good thing we got him a Star Wars figure, eh? Sophia tells Santa that Aunt Sandy bought her a Barbie. I guess just to make sure he didn't bring her one too. Then, Santa (grumpy Santa, btw) gave them each a Christmas coloring book and sent us along our way with a ho-hum Merry Christmas. It made me think of the movie A Christmas Story... sort of. Minus a little bit of drama. I couldn't believe they let me take a picture of my own when I didn't agree to pay $15 for a 5x7 taken by their studio!

Our first gingerbread house!

It was so much fun to make and much easier and kid friendly than I had anticipated. Definitely worth the $8 from Walmart (yes, Walmart, can you believe it?). And, yes, that is Sophia in a pink leotard and tutu. A friend of ours passed it down to her last week before we left and she wears it all of the time. She has split clothing personality - one hour it is pink tutu "want to be a Swan Lake" dancer and the next hour she is decked out in Joshua's spiderman pj's shooting webs. I just love her!

And my sweet sweet Emily who is almost ONE!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Love it all! Your kids are beautiful, as always. I laughed at the Santa part because we're the same way as far as not getting into the whole "believing" part, but even still, Gabbie is fascinated by him and must have a chat with him every time we go to the mall (as long as the line isn't too long). Everytime she gets up there and he asks what she wants, her reply is always the same: "I want a soccer ball and a skateboard." The first time she saw Santa this year, the boy in front of her asked for "a soccer ball and a skateboard" so I guess she thinks that's what you're supposed to say. :) She'll realize real quick that Santa's not real on Christmas day when she doesn't get her soccer ball or her skateboard...sorry kid! Okay, I've certainly gone on long enough. I can't believe our babies (future husband and wife!) are almost one! I'm near tears just thinking about that!!!